10/10/2018 - 9:00am to 10/14/2018 - 5:00pm
The Trailing of the Sheep Festival in Sun Valley is a gathering to present and preserve the history and culture associated with sheepherding in Idaho and the West. It has been ranked "One of the Top Ten Fall Festivals in the World" by msn.com.
2018 will mark the Trailing of the Sheep Festival's 22nd year in action, and it's sure to be the best festival yet. While sheep are the main attraction each year, the festival offers something fun for everyone in the family. The Culinary Fest and Cooking Classes held during the festival are perfect for foodies, and the Wool Fest offers arts and crafts for those of all skill levels.
2018 Trailing of the Sheep Festival Details
- Date: October 10th - 14th, 2018
- Location: Events are held in various locations throughout Sun Valley, Hailey & Ketchum, Idaho
2018 Trailing of the Sheep Festival Attractions
The Culinary Fest will be held on Friday, October 12th at 4:30pm in Ketchum. This ticketed event offers attendees the chance to taste and vote on lamb bites from a great deal of excellent restaurants. $20 buys lamb-bite-eaters a wrist band and all-you-can-eat lamb bites (until they run out)!
The Wool Fest is a DIY crafter's dream come true. There are a great selection of classes to choose from throughout the festival. Attendees pay a small fee (dependent on the class) and learn how to make a beautiful craft from wool.
Friday, October 12th, 2018 Wool Fest Classes
- Shibori Dyeing (Dye silk or wool scarves with this Japanese artform)
- Leaping Lamb Pouch (Make a custom phone pouch)
- Mitchell Homestead Pillow or Wallhanging (Stitching techniques)
- Shibori Too! (Similar to Shibori Dyeing, but inclusive of more techniques)
- Rug Hooking with Wool
- Colorful Baby Socks
- Botanical Dyeing (Learn to color plants)
Saturday, October 13th, 2018 Wool Fest Classes
- No-Purl Rib Knit Scarf
- Cobweb Felting (Learn to felt hand-dyed wool fiber)
- Wool if by Hand (Learn to comb & card wool)
- Delectable Duble-Dyed Scarves
- Needle Felting (Learn to felt 2 or 3 dimensional shapes)
- Taniko Finger Weaving
- From Fleece to Studio (How to prepare fleece)
- Dro-Spindle Spinning
- Weave a Tapesty Beaded Bag
Sunday, October 15th, 2018 Wool Fest Classes
- What-Not Box (Cute wool embroidered box)
- Glorious Tassels and PomPoms (To put on purses, gifts & more)
Enjoy a documentary screening of Gaucho Del Norte (Gaucho of the North) on Friday, October 12th at 7pm. This screening, held at the Sun Valley Opera House in Sun Valley costs just $20. Filmmarkers Sofian Khan and Andres Caballero will be on site for a post-film Q&A session!
Watch an authentic sheep migration of over 1,500 sheep! This annual event is a huge hit, and will please everyone in the family. We suggest arriving a bit before the parade start at noon on Sunday, October 14th to grab a good spot along Main Street in Ketchum. The parade will feature historic sheep wagons and dancers wearing historic garb.
Get down at the Sheep Jam! The Dusty 45s will be on site to perform for attendees, who can enjoy a cocktail reception and lamb dinner buffet before hand. $75 includes the cocktail reception, dinner and show, and there will be a cash bar open during the show. Attendees can also purchase a ticket to the show only for $25. The Sheep Jam takes place during the evening on Saturday, October 13th from 6pm to 11pm.
Sheep Dog Trials
The Sheep Dog Trials features extremely talented animals, and takes place throughout the day on October 12th, 13th and 14th. The west's most talented border collies will be on site to compete in The National Point Qualifying Sheepdog Trails